Nelson Mandela Bay

Needs Your Help

To get through the water crisis

We need to reduce our water consumption
and save as much as we can.

together we can turn

the water crisis around

Save water now

Updated daily by 12h00 (noon)
LAST UPDATED: 14 August 2023

Water Supply 

Water Produced and Usage Statistics


Today's Dam Storage


Changed from a week ago

NMBM target demand:
230 million litres per day (MLD)
55 MLD used over target

Leaks Repair Meter

Current cumulative outstanding

26 August – 7 September 2022

Cumulative Outstanding: 1650

Leaks Reported

Cumulative Leaks Reported
Leaks Reported plus Carried over from Previous Week

Leaks Fixed

Cumulative Fixed
Leaks Outstanding







22 August – 26 August 2022

Cumulative Outstanding: 1184

Leaks Reported

Cumulative Leaks Reported
Leaks Reported plus Carried over from Previous Week

Leaks Fixed

Cumulative Fixed
Leaks Outstanding







18 August – 22 August 2022

Cumulative Outstanding: 1480

Leaks Reported

Cumulative Leaks Reported
Leaks Reported plus Carried over from Previous Week

Leaks Fixed

Cumulative Fixed
Leaks Outstanding







29 July – 12 August 2022

Cumulative Outstanding: 968

Leaks Reported

Cumulative Leaks Reported
Leaks Reported plus Carried over from Previous Week

Leaks Fixed

Cumulative Fixed
Leaks Outstanding







15 July – 29 July 2022

Cumulative Outstanding: 968

Leaks Reported

Cumulative Leaks Reported
Leaks Reported plus Carried over from Previous Week

Leaks Fixed

Cumulative Fixed
Leaks Outstanding






8 July – 18 July 2022

Cumulative Outstanding: 0

Leaks Reported

Cumulative Leaks Reported
Leaks Reported plus Carried over from Previous Week

Leaks Fixed

Cumulative Fixed
Leaks Outstanding







20 June – 8 July 2022

Cumulative Outstanding: 0

Leaks Reported

Cumulative Leaks Reported
Leaks Reported plus Carried over from Previous Week

Leaks Fixed

Cumulative Fixed
Leaks Outstanding






Affected Areas

Water Collection Points

Should the City arrive at Day Zero, please find your nearest water collection point

Click on map icons to view details

Follow us on social media for the latest updates

Local Dam Storage

Total Capacity

turning it around

Starts Here

Use Less than 50L

Follow these useful water saving tips to reduce consumption and manage the draught in Nelson Mandela Bay.

Report a Leak

We are here to play our part. Call our water saving team immediately if you spot a leak in the area.


Education about the drought in Nelson Mandela Bay is the first step to turning things around.

Know the Facts

Drought Faqs

Managing your Water Use

How do I determine if there is a water leak on my property?
  • Check whether there are any damp areas on the ground or on the walls where your pipes run.
  • Make sure that the geyser is not overflowing by checking the overflow pipe on the roof.
  • Check the cisterns of each toilet on the property to ensure that the rubber seal is effective and water is not continually running into the bowl.
  • If a hissing sound can be heard from the water pipes when no taps are running, there is probably a leak.
  • Make sure that no taps are dripping: – a dripping tap can waste more than 200 litres of water a day, or about 6,5 kilolitres a month.
  • Take a reading before going to bed at night; before you use/consume any water the following day, take the reading again. Any deviation between the two readings will indicate that you have a water leak
How do I read my water meter?

Reading Your Water Meter

Your water account will show a consumption charge for the total number of kilolitres you have used over the last month. Note that the meter reader does not read the number of litres.

As you are being charged according to the amount of water you use, it is a good idea to know how to read your meter and read it regularly.

It is important to understand water volumes. Here is an explanation:

1 Ml = 1 000 k l (think of a cube 10 m x 10 m x 10m. The NMBM usage is approximately 320 Ml/day)
1 k l = 1 000 l (think of a cube 1 m x 1 m x 1 m, 1 k l = 1 m3)
1 l = 1 000 ml (a teaspoon takes 5 ml, a cool drink can take 330 ml)

Your water meter tells you exactly how much water you are using. Generally, water meters are located just inside the boundary of your property, normally in the corner.

Water usage can be monitored by simply reading your meter on a daily basis.

Black numbers tell you how many kilolitres you have used;

Red numbers tell you how many litres you have used.

How do you calculate the charge for my monthly water consumption?

For businesses there is a flat rate applied to the number of kiloliters consumed. For residential properties, a sliding scale is applied to the volume of water consumed to determine the amount due – reading cycle between two consecutive reading dates.

What are the restrictions on the use of water?


In terms of Section 4 of the Water Services Act 108 (No 108 of 1997) and Clause 31 of the Water & Sanitation Services By-Law the following will be prohibited from immediate effect:

  1. The use of water obtained from the Municipality’s water supply system for: –

(a) watering gardens, lawns, grassed areas, flower beds, racecourses, sports fields, bowling   greens, golf greens and fairways, croquet lawns, turf wickets, ploughing fields and the like;

(b) topping up or filling fountains, ornamental ponds and the like;

(c) filling swimming and paddling pools;

(d) washing paved areas, walls, roofs, buildings and similar structures.

  1. The use or operation of: –

(a) hosepipes;

(b) sprinklers, sprinkler and drip systems;

(c) automatic swimming pool fillers;

(d) automatic urinal flushing systems;

(e) the connection of a hosepipe or any form of irrigation system to a tap supplying water from  the Municipality’s water supply system unless for the purposes permitted in terms of this     notice.


  1. The use of reclaimed water or water obtained from sources other than the Municipality’s water supply system.
  2. Watering gardens, lawns, grassed areas and flower beds by means of a hand held container.
  3. The use or operation of a hose pipe or sprinkler system for firefighting.
  4. The filling of a new pool on completion of initial construction.
  5. Commercial vehicle washing business where at least 70 % of the water is recycled. (Vehicle washing by means of a hand held container is permitted)
  6. Watering of plants, trees and shrubs in commercial, state and municipal nurseries.
  7. The filling of municipal swimming pools and swimming pools at hotels, fitness centres, medical care centres, schools, educational institutions and institutions of higher education.
  8. The prohibitions contained in this notice shall not apply in any case specifically exempted, in writing, by the Executive Director: Infrastructure and Engineering.


  •     Notice boards must be prominently displayed where water from sources other than the Municipality’s water supply system is used for irrigation.
  •     Land owners must notify the Infrastructure and Engineering Directorate in writing of the existence of boreholes on their property.
  •        Land owners must apply to the Department of Water & Sanitation for the intention to sink boreholes and also notify the NMBM.
  •        All consumption must be reduced by at least 15% and failure to achieve this the NMBM will be forced to impose stricter measure.


Who to Contact and What is Being Done to Save Water in NMBM?

How do I contact water services?
24/7 Call Centre on tel 0800 20 5050
How can I report a water-related complaint?

All water related complaints must be reported to the call free number 0800 205050, which is operated 24/7. A reference number will be issued. Complaints can also be e-mailed to

What has the municipality done about the drought situation?

The Municipality has implemented a number of emergency schemes and interventions to mitigate the consequences of the water shortage. Here are some of them:

  1. Emergency schemes 
  • Making available non-potable water to the public at no cost, to offset potable water consumption.
    • Promoting use and making available return effluent water from all waste water treatment plants
    • Making available untreated ground water at Coega Kop (this water will be collected at the Motherwell Cemetery).
  • Using additional clarified and chlorinated unfiltered water from the Nooitgedagt Water Treatment Works to increase the Municipality’s total treatment capacity by 30 megalitres per day.
  • Planning and completing feasibility studies for the desalination of sea water.
  • Fast tracking the construction of the new Coega Kop Water Treatment Works and Well Field ground water from the artesian aquifers in the area surrounding Coega Kop. 

  1. Interventions 

Human capital resourcing, i.e. staff recruitment comprised the appointment of 13 plumbers, as well as 1 Senior Superintendent, 2 Superintendents and 6 Installation Inspectors. 

3.Other interventions:

  • Sourcing external capacity to augment internal capacity – Contractors were procured to assist in leak detection and fixing.
  • Intensification of the Assistance To The Poor (ATTP) Programme – This programme inter alia ensures that internal leaks in indigent local households are fixed.
  • Serving notices to schools that consistently record high consumption.
  • Installing water demand management devices at schools to stop water abuse.
  • Training Peace Officers authorised to issue fines to water abusers and enforce the NMBM Water & Sanitation Bylaw.
  • A 10-year business plan was developed and approved by Council to deal with the major problem of non-revenue water, as well as bulk water supply and meters; remote meter reading; pressure management and billing management; water and sanitation tariffs; leak repairs; operations and maintenance;  domestic meter audits;  valve and hydrant audits; water meter replacement; reservoir rehabilitation; and community awareness. 

We urge all our stakeholders to be vigilant in the protection of our water infrastructure, as water disruptions are occurring as a result of theft and vandalism at reservoirs and pump installations.

We thank all our residents and stakeholders for working with us to mitigate the impact of the water shortage. We require the active participation of each and every resident to ensure water sustainability in our City.

Please take up the challenge of bringing our consumption down to 250 megalitres a day. 

Scientific Services Laboratory: Can anyone get their water tested by Scientific Services?

Yes, but as a private client, which will be billed into your Municipal account. If you’re a consumer of NMBM drinking water with a water quality complaint, the complaint must be reported on 0860 205050 and the Water Division will get the water tested.

What is the cost involved to have a water meter tested?
What is the municipality doing to restrict high-consumption households consistently using more than 30 kilolitres?


Our supply dams stand at less than 24%  – and the water levels are still dropping.

As part of its water-saving measures, the Municipality is currently installing flow meter restrictors for high-consumption households consistently using more than 30 kilolitres of water per month.

These meters allow a water supply to each household from 5am every day until the daily limit of 1 000 litres per household is reached. The meter then automatically turns off the water supply until 5am the next morning.

Please monitor your water consumption and avoid having your water restricted!

Note: Tampering with the flow meter restrictor is a criminal offence. You will be prosecuted.

For more information, call 0800 20 50 50

When does part A, B and C of the NMBM water tariffs kick in?


Normal conditions when we have normal rainfall patterns and the dam levels are adequate 
Water restrictions/ Critical stage when the water situation is becoming critical and dam levels keep on dropping with disrupted rainfall patterns 
Disaster / Emergency 
Drought – a further level of severe conditions when we are in the same situation as Cape Town
Who is responsible for fixing water leaks on private properties?

The Municipality maintains and repairs the water mains up to the water meter. The area from the meter to the taps is the responsibility of the owner or tenant, depending on the lease agreement.

If you have a leak on your property, contact a private plumbing contractor to make the necessary repairs. It is in your own interest to have a leak repaired immediately, as you will be charged at a higher rate as your consumption increases. If there is a burst pipe or leak on a roadway or pavement, report it to the Municipality’s Water Services. It is illegal for a consumer or private contractor to tamper with a water meter.
Water Services: 24/7 Call Centre on tel 0800 20 5050 or

Trade Effluent Permits

How to obtain a Trade Effluent Permit?

Download an application form here. Populate the application form and attach a copy of the latest municipal approved drainage plan as well as a copy of the premises’ municipal utility bill, not older than three months. Submit these to . On receipt of these documents, a Trade Effluent Inspector will visit the contributor’s premises to collect trade effluent samples at a representative point within the premises’ drainage system. A minimum of approximately four samples will be collected to ascertain the wastewater effluent strength discharged by the contributor. If the analysed samples are compliant the stipulated parameters a permit will be processed and sent via post. If the analysed samples do not comply a mitigation plan must be submitted and implemented prior to issuing of the permit. For any further clarity please contact. Trade Effluent Inspectorate at Telephone No. 041 – 506 2208 or Email:

What is a Trade Effluent Permit?

All commercial, industrial and institutional effluent discharged into a municipal sewer must be registered with Trade Effluent Inspectorate in order to be granted a Trade Effluent Permit. The permit is issued in terms of Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality (NMBM) – Water and Sanitation Services Bylaw and it allows for the wastewater effluent from the premises within the NMBM’s jurisdiction that meet specific standard of quality to be discharged into the sewer network. The permit is an authority granted by NMBM to a contributor which discharges an effluent whose strength exceeds that of normal domestic strength.

  What is a Trade Effluent Permit?

Who is required to have a Trade Effluent Permit?

All commercial, industrial and institutional entities, e.g. Restaurants, Butcheries, Hotels, Manufacturing and Production centres, Car Washing Facilities, Medical and Educational Institutions, and so forth.

Why do I need to have a Trade Effluent Permit?

To ensure all contributors categorized as industrial, commercial and institutional comply with the Water & Sanitation Services Bylaw in terms of effluent discharge into the municipal sewer network. Compliance assist to prolong the life span of the sewerage infrastructure for both conveyance and treatment systems.

Report a Leak

Call us


Message – water – via WhatsApp: 064 744 7721

Log a Leak

Thank You

For playing your part

in turning it around

Useful Resources

Call us


message – water – via WhatsApp: 080 020 5050

Log a Leak